Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Parahelion?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Joe Antognini on April 11, 2002 04:12:55 UTC

Spelling may be off, but that's OK. Unless I'm confusing the thing that you are talking about with something else, I think this is correct. It's caused by a refraction from falling ice crystals high in the sky. When they fall perpendicular to sun rays, a parahelion is formed. The halo is where the ice crystals are most concentrated, and the light does the most effect. If you look closely (not too closely of course) you can notice that the sky inside the parahelion is slightly darker than the sky on the outside. That is due to the ice crystals. Parahelions do not occur every day because it is only in rare instances where the ice crystals fall in a perpendicular fashion. If anyone else does not believe this to be true, you're probably right. I may be confused. But, if I'm right, I hope I answered your question.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins