Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Green Lasers

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on April 9, 2002 08:53:58 UTC

I use one, but not very often. They are an awesome tool for pointing with observers.

But.....

There is a law in areas near airports. A Federal Law concerning green lasers and the FAA. Green lasers ARE NOT to be used near Class C Airspace or near airports...any airport. Green lasers are actually banned in some areas. They are, near Seattle and Boeing feild. The more powerful ones that cost over $200 are the main culprits. There are smaller ones that are OK and will do the job, but not as well as the good ones will.

Check your area laws with FAA. It's a $1000 fine if convicted. This is a very rare thing. It did happen once to a fellah in Boulder Colorado who was dumb enough to point it at a planeduring a star party. He got busted.

Just check the rules of your area. Basically I just turn mine off if a plane is near or flying overhead.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins