Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Some Trivial Fun

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Joe Antognini on April 7, 2002 00:24:42 UTC

For the uninterested astronomer...

Puzzle this in between looks at the Messier objects!

Everyone knows that the Earth has a pull on the moon. I hope everyone also knows that the sun also has a pull on the moon. Well, because the moon orbits the Earth, the Earth should have a greater pull on the moon than the sun. Correct? Well, that sounds nice, but in actuality, the sun's pull on the moon is twice as strong as that of the Earth's. So then, why does the moon still orbit the Earth? This may be easy for some but hard for others, post a message to try your hand. I'll post my own message (the correct answer) in a few days. I'll also mention anyone who was correct or got so close that they could touch it by sticking out a pencil with a jumbo eraser attached to it. Have fun!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins