Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'll Give It A Shot

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Joe Antognini on March 19, 2002 04:36:26 UTC

If I'm not terribly mistaken, I believe you would be somewhere in Antartica, probably fairly close the South Pole. Close to both geographic poles, the rotation of the Earth is so minute that the tilt of the Earth relating to seasons is what keeps the sun up and down. In extremely northern and southern regions the sun stays up the entire time that part of the Earth is tilted towards the sun. In northern latitudes, the northern hemisphere of the Earth is tilted towards the direction of the sun during spring and summer, so the sun would be up for six months straight. For the southern hemisphere the opposite is true. The tilt is opposite and the sun stays up during autumn and winter months- which is almost exactly the dates mentioned in the question. The answer would have to be an extremely southern latitude. Probably Antartica.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins