Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Another Problem

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by L Madia on March 19, 2002 04:19:30 UTC

I forgot to add this bit of info concerning the balancing problem with the tasco stand. I can move the scope in its brackets to bring it into balance, but that seems to create another problem.
The mirror portion of the scope is much heavier than the front and to achieve balance the scope is pushed pretty far through the brackets toward the front. This seems fine in practice, but when I place the scope in a position to view objects that are closer to the horizon the scope is severely out of balance. In no way will I get the scope to hold in position when I have it balanced as such.

I can't imagine what, if anything I am doing wrong. I just gave up. I have the stand in such a way that it will only drift when looking nearly straight up while it usually holds its place when I lower the scope.

Any advice, or is this about the best I can expect? Do you think the extra weight will help?
Can you tell if I am doing something wrong?

Talk to you later,

Lenny M

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins