Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
???

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on March 16, 2002 19:58:43 UTC

Sounds to me you have a star. Granted, Jupiter is above and to the "left" of Orion this time of year, but in essence that is right. Jupiter nearly reaches zenith (looking straight up) and is the brightest object (except the moon) in the night sky. Saturn is nearby in Taurus very near the star Aldebaran. When looking at a bright star, no matter what power you use, you will only get a bright pinpoint of light. If you were seeing Jupiter, even in a 114, you would notice that the light is actually a round disk. At lower powers, you can easily see all or some of the moons of Jupiter. They look like small stars, but very bright and they are staggered in a crooked line on either side or both sides of the planets. At a medium power, you should see the bands of the planets surface. I guess you could call then "stripes"....same difference.

Perhaps you were looking at Betelguese or Procyon...I don't know. But the description you posted sounds like a star instead of Jupiter.

Go out at dark and look nearly straight up. Find the brightest "star"...that should be Jupiter. The other "very bright" objects are Saturn and Sirius...those three objects can be comparable as the "brightest" in that part of the sky. Good Luck!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins