Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Orion Skyview 8 Owners Please Help

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on March 14, 2002 21:04:12 UTC

The way I read your post is that you want to align the secondary and primary BEFORE optical collimation?

I used to own a 8" SVD and collimated it many times. By leaving the primary alone for now and adjusting the secondary mirror isn't that hard. What most folks don't realize is that there is an offset on the secondary. This offset is slight and by correctly adjusting the secondary, you will "off-handedly" do an offset. Personally, I find it difficult to really explain mechanical and optical collimation without proper visual aids in understanding the method of collimating.

The 8" SVD is at f/4 and collimation is slightly more critical. Though some people may disagree with that statement, however my experience says otherwise through trial and error over the years.

Down below is Mel Bartels Collimation website that explains mechanical/optical collimation and explains offset. Give that a try and good luck!!

http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~mbartels/collimate/collimat.html

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins