Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Tried To Collimate Last Night

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Buz Buzbee on March 1, 2002 14:49:25 UTC

I tried the old "pinhole in the film barrel" trick yesterday and aligned the mirrors so that they looked like they were right on the money. I spent about an hour doing that. Then, later that night, i tried the star test. I used a 26mm super plossl (meade) and looked at aldeberan. I tried to come out of focus with it and see these "concentric rings" around the star, but all i got was a donut. I tried unfocusing out both ways and got the same thing, although if i moved the focuser out towards me, I dis see the sillhouette of the spidervande and the secondary mirror. Indeed, it was just a tad bit off center. I cant remember if I corrected this. I gave up at about midnight, as I had to go to bed. I'm sure it couldnt have been cooldown... I left the scope outside all day out of the sun, under the patio. I bought a collimation eyepiece to hold me over untill i can buy or borrow a laser or untill if someone physically helps me collimate this monster. About these other issues... I can see saturn and a ring around it.. The cassini division is actually a division in the rings, right? Anyway, when I move up to a 9mm or so, the image gets all fuzzy and actually developed a coma as I was watching.. I dont know.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins