Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Size Is Relative

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glenn Muller on February 28, 2002 14:55:26 UTC

All 3 sizes break down into 2 pieces - mount and tube - but the total weight increases with size from about 37lbs for the 6" to 57lbs for the 10".

The 8" gathers about 60% more light than the 6", and the 10" gathers about 75% more light than the 8", so there is a dramatic increase in the ability to resolve faint deep sky objects between to 6" and the 10".

All 3 scopes will need collimating from time to time - it is very simple with the 6" and proportionately harder, and more crucial as you go larger.

Where the 10" is better for deep sky objects, it has been said that the 6" handles planets better.
Sure, the 10" can do planets, but so can the 6" see hundreds of deep sky targets.

The 6" is half the price of the 10".

A 6" mirror will cool down much faster that the 10", though if you have an unheated storage place then that wouldn't be much of a factor.

The 8" runs the middle road between the other 2 on all issues.

Personally, my wife and I don't have kids but I am happy with our 6", firstly for the portability, and secondly for the simplicity.

It's a tough call but one of the "funner" decisions to have to make.

Glenn

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins