Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Newbies

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Glenn Muller on January 4, 2002 15:57:14 UTC

Although I was quite into "space stuff" in my youth - my first telesope was a Tasco from the local hobby shop (1969) - life's other distractions intervened. However, my wife, Gail, and I are now rediscovering the delights of the sky. Our mutual Christmas present, this year, was a 6" Skywatcher Dob purchased from Kahn Scopes in nearby Toronto.
I noticed another post from a Kahn Scopes customer, and, regarding the barlow, it really is just a cheap promotional tool (the nice gentleman at the store said as much).
With the supplied 25mm and 10mm we've had some nice views of Saturn (+ Titan and a yet unidentified moon - maybe Rhea?); the bands on Jupiter and it's 4 large moons; the moon itself - we did buy a moon filter and it works well; and the Orion Nebula & Trapezium which is a real delight!
Since the night sky was cloudy for the first week after we bought our scope, we invested in a full aperture solar filter from Kendrick Astro Instruments (also in Toronto). It is an aluminum cell holding a sheet of Baader Astro solar film.
It gives a clean (whitish) view of the sun's disc with sunspots (as black specks) of various shapes and sizes. Funnily enough, daytime viewing tends to be a bit warmer!
We also bought a few other things, and made a couple of modifications which I'll put in another post. I really just wanted to say Hi1.

Glenn Muller
Grimsby, Ontario, Canada

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins