Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Life In Alpha Centauri System -This Is Shorter

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Hermann Jens Ingjaldsson/">Hermann Jens Ingjaldsson on September 17, 1998 18:08:38 UTC

: : I would like some expert advise on the existance : : of life in the A.C. system. I know that there is : : a high propability of the existance of life in : : this system, as the condidions there are similar : : to those of Sol. Please confirm my point of view. : Sorry about the repeat postings - had trouble with my phone-line and kept trying to post till it finally seemed to go through. Apparently it did - more than once.

: I also now see there is a limit to the length of a post, so this one will be shorter: : (1) The laws, materials and conditions which were conducive to the development of life on this planet are not unique to Earth; therefore, given the vastness of the universe, there is certainly life elsewhere. : (2) Double stars do have planets, and, in fact, there has been serious speculation concerning a dim companion to Sol, which could exist (but probably doesn't) - a companion star orbiting far enough away does not rule out stable planetary orbits or life. : (3) The odds are against another civilization being at precisely the same stage of technological development as our own, meaning possible Centaurans might not have radio yet, or might have something beyond radio, perhaps something based on the quantum teleportation recently demonstrated in Switzerland, which we could no more detect than Stone Age people could detect radio. : (4) Organisms change over time, developing more various capabilities and specializations over time, intelligence being but one such capability; an environment rich in biological resources which subjects the life therein to stress will continue to evolve, and sometimes will evolve toward intelligence.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins