Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Weather And Seismic Forecast For May 2001

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael McNeil on May 6, 2001 04:34:21 UTC

UK Weather forecast for May 2001.

1st qtr. April 30th. 17:08 = 5:08pm.
Full moon May 7th. 13:53 = 1:53pm.
2nd qtr. May 15th. 10:11 = 10:11am.
New moon May 23rd. 02:46 = 2:46am.
1st qtr. May 29th. 22:09 = 10:09pm.
Full moon June 6th. 01:39 = 1:39am.

The dynamics for the full moons appear to be similar and I dare say the weather input will also be similar. Likewise the second and first quarter moons in May. The longitudes for all the phases in May are those for which I would expect some seismic activity.

17:08 Gmt is 5hrs west about the longitude of the US east coast not a hot spot for quakes and etc. However it is smack on the saying “sun by 5 rain by 11”. I expect June 30th. to bring good weather.

Full moon May 7th. 13:53. This is not far off the longitude for peak seismic activity of Japan (and just this side of the Mid Atlantic Ridge) One might expect some activity in the region of New Zealand and New Guinea on a scale in excess of 5R or M or whatever.
What sort of weather might we expect? An hour before three so it aught to be fine. As the previous spell is for fine too do not expect much to happen. If I am wrong and this phase is wet or (more likely windy) we might have strong seismic activity. To be honest I am not sure.

2nd qtr. May 15th. 10:11. Again the previous phase will decide on how much seismic activity there will be at changeover. At second quarter the moon is 90 degrees or 6 hours ahead of the sun. (At first quarter it is 90 degrees behind. The moon is in the sky longer than the sun.)
At 10:11 the sun is over the longitude of eastern Europe, (W. Turkey, E. Finland) the moon is over E. Greenland and almost nothing else until the Antarctic. It brackets the UK nicely and we will have mixed unstable weather until the spell breaks. The spells for quarter moons are, like the phenomena themselves, short ones. Not very powerful.

New moon May 23rd. 02:46. This is a powerful spell and its geosiesmic center is for the east of Asia the W. rim of the Pacific. This is a major change for the center. The previous spell had been for the Mid Atlantic Ridge / W. USA. Expect at least thundery weather and some earthquakes in the region of Indonesia and China.

1st. quarter May 29th. 22:09. We are back to the previous quarter moon’s spell. This one is well and truly over the W. USA; a little to the east of the San Andreas Fault area. The problem of course is heightened by the fact that the new moon prior to this will have set up unstable seimicity in the region of “the far east” and now in the “far west” too. We shall have much the same weather as for the middle of May.

Full moon June 6th. 01:39.Phases that occur at 1’o clock especially full and new moon bring floods to Alpine regions. This one is 40 minutes later. It will be similar to the previous full moon at the beginning of May and the new moon on the 25th. of March.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins