Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Pure Speculation

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Robert Rauch on May 3, 2001 14:15:38 UTC

Kool - thanks for the help Steve

I was just wondering because I always hear the universe being described as acting as if it is independent of anything from the outside. For example, when we try to decide if there is enough matter to cause its expansion to slow down and one-day possibly collapse.

Thing is, it seems just as likely to me that the big bang occurred in the middle of something that already existed - like a bubble forming in soda. If so, the displacement of whatever lies outside the big bangs event horizon, might be enough to slow down and collapse the universe independent of its own gravity.

I suppose people just dismiss things outside the universe as 'unknowable' and having little to no effect on the known universe. But in the case of the expansion of the universe - this is not necessarily the case.

Ergo - it is possible for things outside the known universe to affect us even deep inside it. In that case, it seems difficult to speculate in what other ways things outside our universe may actually shape our physical laws - but that does not preclude the possibility.

This is especially true to the extent that if there is something else out there, our universes expansion must be causing a distortion which may then change the way it affects us in response.

Anyway - it is all to complex for the feeble human mind - I give up!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins