Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Celestron Or Meade

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Forum Master on April 24, 2001 14:09:48 UTC

I have heard so many times that Celestron has a better quality control and thus a "better chance" at getting a good instrument.

Meade has angered many over possibly wide tolerances of their manufacturer resulting in some okay telescopes and a few fine instruments.

I have to say that every Meade and Celestron I have actually used has been just fine.

The best way to get a quality instrument is to not rely on a blind shipment from just any dealer. Go find a dealer who will actually test each scope in some basic way to check the quality and alignment of the telescope before they ship it to you. This way optical seconds are sent back to the factory and uncollimiated units are collimated before shipment to you.

As for mounts, I believe you have a much better chance at getting what you think you ordered. Again I would suggest finding a dealer who will check things out for you with their trained eye. It's what they do best and why they are in business. Don't shop on price alone.

While shopping for a dealer just ask them if they personally check their higher end products (8 inch SCTs are high end) for fit and function. If they do they will proudly tell you. If they don't they will give you a song and dance; Watch out.

The best situation is if you can actually visit a show room. This is not for everybody of course, but is the best situation.

Good luck.

John

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins