Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Galaxies

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on April 8, 2001 09:19:38 UTC

Basically the secret to seeing any type of distinguisable galaxy structure is an absolutely clear and un-turbulant sky. On a clear and calm night with no light pollution at all, I can distinguish "arm structure" on M51 Whirlpool galaxy. As I can with M33 Triangulum Galaxy, not to mention Andromeda (M31). This was using an 8" f/6 Dobs. I use a 26mm, 17mm with a 2x barlow. That's basically all I need. I do have 7mm Nagler, but I save that one for planets. On a good night, the Owl Nebula (M97) & M108 can be seen pretty darn good also various globular clusters. Your 10" is adaquate enough for many galaxies including the Virgo cluster and many NGC objects as well. Good transparent, dark skies is what you need. Clear skies!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins