Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Sciu Fi And Future

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Joe Haldeman on December 19, 2000 13:52:07 UTC

I'm in search of anecdotes. I'm trying not to spam; forgive me if you see this in more than one place.

Next month I'm giving a talk to the California Academy of Sciences about the relationship between science and science fiction. What I'm looking for is stories about scientists who were led into science by sf, or whose work is affected by it.

Carl Sagan started out with Barsoom and wound up going to Mars, in a way. I've been told -- haven't we all? -- that most of the scientists at Peenemunde and on the Manhattan Project cut their teeth on the science fiction pulps, but the only verified story I know is Wernher von Braun. Does anybody know of others? (Jesco von Puttkamer?)

I'd also dearly love a negative anecdote or two -- working scientists who have to cope with a public that thinks Star Trek science is real. Or whatever.

Thanks in advance --

Joe Haldeman

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins