Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Field Of View

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jim on July 5, 2000 00:58:40 UTC

Ace,

You are correct an 80mm with 400mm focal length will have a wider FOV than a 80mm with 700mm focal length.

However the ST-80 is a wide field scope good for large deepsky objects such as open clusters & wide starfields, but limited planetary.

Whereas the longer focal length 80mm will be better on planets and a lot of the Galaxies & planetary nebulae, because higher power is more easily achieved in the longer focal length scope.

But The ST-80 is a great little scope & fun to pan around with.
I have one & use it mainly for taking pictures. I piggyback it on my 8"SCT. I also use it for solar viewing.

You say you like the wide FOV of your binoculars in comparison to the view you got through the 60mm, so wou will probably be happy with the ST-80.

check out some pics I`ve taken with mine here:

http://www.nightskydesign.com/skyjunkie/astrophoto/index.html

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins