Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Blue Meade Ds-114ec Is It Real? Other Ds114ec Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by T on June 28, 2000 00:14:28 UTC

Hello,
I have a meade ds 114 and let me tell you, it can be the best thing in the world and the worst thing in the world. MAybe mine is just like this, but one good thing i have to say is meade is really great to deal with. Let me fill you in here: Okay, i like to play around with my telescope and do more worst than good. THe worm gears and the motors are very delicate, and do not EVER strip them out, even a little. IT only takes a very little and the scope will just slip and not move an inch using the motors. So i had to call up meade, and they mailed me a new one (but i really think that it is used, just refurbished-a little noisier than the original one that still worked). Put that one on and it has been working great ever since. But i do notice a clicking noise in my horizontal motor, which doesnt effect go to at all. Just annoying. The other night i took the guided tour with the autostar and it was right on the money. Very impressive.
The main reason that i chose this scope was for the goto capability. It is not the greatest scope, but works well for me. It was a first scope and i wanted to see how i liked the whole astronomy thing.
For assessories, you need to have the the autostar, for the ds series. Also, i would buy a 25 or 26 mm plossl, a 17 mm plossl, and a 2x barlow. I bought celestron eyepieces, only $36 from astroptx. Hope this helps, T. J.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins