Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: More Than One Universe

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Larry C. Dodge/">Larry C. Dodge on June 2, 1998 12:19:05 UTC

Well, I will add my two cents. First, I have no problem with multiple universes. We have not seen them yet, but 6 months ago, our universe was a lot smaller than it is now. Hubble has added what we know about hence to the size. Second, the story of the creation in Genesis is a simple story for a people that had no way of comprehending the immensity or complexity of the creation. The days spoken of there are just periods of work accomplished by God. Given that God has knowlege and power far beyond ours and therefore a much greater understanding of the forces at work in the universe (or what ever you want to call the vastness of space with multiple universes.) I believe he uses the laws as he knows them to cause creation. We, as a collective humanity, have never recorded and observation of nature becoming more ordered (theory of randomness). Believing that there is no intelligent force directing the creation, to me, is like sitting down at Thanksgiving dinner and saying there is no cook. The possibility that all that cooked food accidently arrived at the table at the the same time and that you and your friends or family just accidently arrived and that all this accidently came to be in the same place and time exists. I said the possibilty exists, but figuring the probability is almost impossible. The complexity of preparing large meal is trivial when compared with the complexity of the human body the multiplied by the complexity of all the life forms and variations on this world then multiplied by the orbits and the planets and the stars and the galaxies and so on. I suggest that after you have eaten your next thanksgiving meal, you suggest to the one who lovingly prepared it for you that you, might enjoy it, that it all came about by chance and that you have a lot of problems with belief that the is a cook. After all recipies are changed all the time and they are nothing more than stories of food preparations that have been altered to fit the needs of imperfect beings etc. I say do it after eating or you may not get to participate in the enjoyment of the food that accidently arrived there. By waiting until after you have eaten, you will probably have the opportunity to experiment upon the theory that dishes will randomly arrive in the cupbord clean and neatly stacked.

Well, analogies prove nothing but consider how disapointed your mother would be if you told her that you did not believe in her existance and then think of a loving father in heaven who provided all that you see around you and gave you free agency to learn and grow and now you have trouble with his existance. Religion is man's attempt to recognize his existance. Man's wisdom is imperfect, therefore so is his religion. That does not prove that he does not exist. From the Bible, we can learn that we are given enough to have faith but not to have perfect knowledge. Part of our purpose here is to have or develope faith.

Enough is enough and this is more than enough. It is here for those who are interested, and not intended as a starting point for contention. For those who have an open mind, consider it; for those who do not, forget it. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins