Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: RE: Laser Surgery

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by BillF on May 2, 2000 14:01:33 UTC

I have done a fair amount of inquiring and meta-research on LASIK, as a medical professional myself, before my wife decided to have it done a year and a half ago. Her experience: uniformly positive, and without glare. She has not used a telescope, but has had no glare from binoculars.
While there is no extraordinarily long term data, the 5 year+ data is very very positive - high success, low problems.

As to the statement that they can "only do a small area," that is semantically true but misleading. The visual axis as it passes from the retina through the pupil and out of the cornea only involves a relatively small area of the cornea - which is the area that is reshaped. One postulate holds that the occasional glare issue comes from slight irregularities in the margins of the circular corneal flap of LASIK - and this only comes into play if the pupil is sufficiently dilated to expand the effective visual axis - such as in relative darkness.

The algorithms used to "drive" the excimer laser (yup, all done by computer - not the surgeon) and the protocols for creating the flap are designed to minimize this by placing the circle outside of the probable visual axis cone, and they do a very good job. However, human perception is somewhat unpredictable - the same reason your eye doctor has to ask "which is better 1 or 2" when evaluating for glasses - the perfect (objective) measurement can be obtained automatically - but that`s not necessarily what we perceive (subjective).

Hope this dispels some questions, even though I can`t directly answer the original question of glare via telescope!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins