Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hi I Have A Couple Of Questions On The Jovian System.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Barry Dye on April 14, 2000 09:14:34 UTC

I am new not only to the forum but also to Astronomy. I have a particular interest in the Jovian system and more specifically I have been interested in the system as a mini solar system in it`s own right. It has occurred to me as I am sure it has to others, that the opportunity exits to study this system and make parallels to the Sol solar system. My question is this. "Has anybody completed any work on this? If so could someone tell me who"? I have scoured the internet and downloaded an awful lot of data from the Galileo mission as well as the Voyager mission. Also I have been looking into the work of Calvin J Hamilton, which provides me with a lot of base information relating to the Jovian system as individual components (IE atmospheres of the planets as well as detailed information on Jupiter.)This has included current theories raised by the Galileo Mission. However none seem to approach the system as a single unit, and then comparisons made to the Sol system, if there are any to be made. The other question or topic I would like to discuss is the cloud formation on Jupiter I understand that the energy source behind the winds on Jupiter is not yet understood as well as that the current theory behind the bands is that the dark coloured bands are the rising of clouds into the atmosphere and the white bands are said to be the clouds falling to Jupiters surface. This as I understand it is the convection motion as picked up by Galileo. However I am unsure as to how this process takes place For example if we are looking at winds in ecess of 500mph then how does the dark bands of cloud excape into the light areas My only guess is that this may be the role of the storms on Jupiter or that the convection process is stronger than the winds produced however I have found no work on this and have a very limited understanding. Please accept my appologies if this is off topic and also for my unscientific mind I only hope I have phrased this quetion correctly. Thanks in advanced My email is Barry.sharpe@btinternet.com

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins