Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: RE: Beginning Astrophotographer Advice

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by David Moore on March 29, 2000 00:04:39 UTC

I`ve done more research since I posted, and have a few more answers. I had done a lot of research before, but it wasn`t as fruitful.

One thing I found out is that the particular Celestron 114 I was mentioning REQUIRES a 2X Barlow to focus a camera. This, I am told, turns the 900mm f/8 scope into an 1800mm f/16 scope. Is this true? If so, that`ll drastically affect exposure times, which makes everything harder.

Also, I`ve read a bit about the flimsiness of most lower-priced EQ mounts. For that reason, I`m considering things like Celestron`s HD line. Orion`s 6" Newtonian seems to have a pretty stout mount as well.

I have done star trails before, but have not logged all the info I should, so I really need to do a lot of it again.

I also saw that amazon.com has quite a few books on astrophotography, so may invest in one of those before anything.

Then, I may take the "recommended" path of:
1) tripod shots
2) lunar shots (eyepiece projection)
3) piggy-back shots

And finally,

4) prime focus shots

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins