Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: A Place To Ask Astronomy Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Could someone help please !! on March 21, 2000 16:38:51 UTC

I am trying this site for the first time. Please excuse me if I have not framed my questions properly.
I would like to know -

1. All the planets move in an eliptical orbit around the sun which is at one of the foci.
- Is the speed of the planet always constant/ is it minimum when closest to the sun / is it maximum when closest to the sun / does it change with the solar activity ?

2. Only giant planets have hydrogen in their atmosphere
- Is it beacause this gas was present only near these planets during the formation of solar system / is it because of their large gravitational pull / is it because they produce hydrogen constantly

3. When there is a lunar eclipse on the earth

- will there be a solar eclipse on the moon/ no event on the moon / an event equivalent to lunar eclipse on the earth ?

4. When there is a solar eclipse on the earth

- Will there be a sloar eclipse on the moon / no event on the moon / an event equivalent to lunar eclipse on the earth ?

5. Feathers are dropped from a height of 100 mts on the earth, mars and venus. The surface gravity on the earth, venus, mars are 978,860 and 378 cms/sec2 respectively. The surface atmospeheric pressure on venus and mars are 90 times and 0.01 times that of the earth respectively. In whcih order will the feathers settle on the respective surfaces

- mars/earth/venus
- earth/venus/mars
- venus/earth/mars
- venus/mars/earth

6. which of the 4 meteorites will cause maximum damage when impacting onthe earth

- A 1000 gram meteorite moving at a speed of 20 Kms. / sec
- A 100 gm meteorite moving at a speed of 100 kms /sec.
- A 100000 gms met. moving at a speed of 1 km/sec.

- A 10000 gms met. moving at a speed of 5 kms/sec

7. Very strong unbreakable balloons are filled with hydrogen and released from the surface of earth/mars and venus.
- Will the one released on mars /venus / earth ascend quickest.

8. As seen from a given point in the moon,
- the earth will never rise or set
- the earth will rise and set with a period of about 29 days.

Please mail me over mahadevak@hotmail.com

regards

Arun Mahadevan
Chennai, India

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins