Happy Halloween

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Anyone Ever Use A Bushnell 675X4.5 Before?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Nathan356/">Nathan356 on May 5, 1998 22:53:31 UTC

Tom, I don't know what kind of deal you are getting, but let me just say this: DON'T! Unless the scope is less than $50, and you are just looking to use it as a toy, you are making a bad mistake. Trust me. If you want to get into astronomy, get some 7x50 or 10x50 binoculars. If you have already those, then read up on some of the Beginner Astronomer FAQs and Guides out there. They all say not to do what you suggested. Try going to www.skyonline.com and look for their reviews of astronomical equipment. They have a beginners scope guide. I have seen some cheaper Tasco and Bushnells in action, and I can say that it is not a pretty sight. Personally, I bought an Orion Shorttube 80 as my first scope and am very pleased with it. I don't know if that type of scope is what you want, but Orion makes and sells a variety of quality scopes (www.oriontel.com). Also try Meade (www.meade.com), or Celestron (www.celestron.com). They all have beginner advice on their pages, and all sell scopes ranging from decent to outstanding (depending on what you pay). Companies to avoid include Tasco, Bushnell, and any scope that advertises based on power or magnification. These companies make scopes that range from utterly useless to just decent, and are no cheaper than the better companies.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2019 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins