Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Photography And Aperture

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on February 27, 2000 19:30:25 UTC

First of all let me say that planetary photography is the toughest to do. If you are learning astrophotography, try piggy-back or plain star portriats first. The moon will be OK too, since it's big and bright. I would do planets last until you get the hang of doing simpler things. Most of the deepsky stuff will require shutter lock up for long periods of time. If your camera has a electric shutter, make sure you have extra batteries. Also I'm assuming you have a bulb setting for the shutter; if not, your camera will not work for astrophotography other than the moon. At prime focus, the f-stop will be the same as your focal ratio of your scope. Maybe yours is a f/9 or 10 or so. With eyepiece projection, your f-ratio will increase resulting in longer exposure times. If you are doing the moon, you could use 200 or 400 speed film. There are filters to consider also. If you use no filters at all, you can get away with using 100 of 200 film. With filters (lunar) 400 speed will do. I use Royal Gold or Max (Kodak) for the moon and stars. Prime focus is desireble because the f-ratio is the same for your scope. There are many thing to consider that I have not touched on. Try the moon first. You can go for the planets, but be perpared for disappointments. This hobby can be very frustrating and rewarding at the same time. Good Luck!!

• http://www.delphi.com/sciandpara

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins