Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Can't Decide What Scope 8" Or 17" Dob Or SC Type Scope

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on January 29, 2000 19:00:40 UTC

Wow...I wish I had your decision. That 17" will beat all the scopes to heck in the deepsky department. But....those SCT's will be handy if you decide to do astrophotography. The light gathering power of that 17" will enable you to see more sky, but setting it up for polar tracking may be more difficult than a SCT. If I had to decide and considering astrophotography later I would opt for at least a 10" SCT. If astrophotography isn't your bag...then the 17". Planets will be OK...of course Newts aren't as sharp in detail as a refractor. My 8" scope will do planets pretty good, but not as good my 4.7" refractor. If I had a chance to use a 17"....I'd be drooling. Good Luck!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins