Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Celestron C150-HD Vs. Orion SkyView Deluxe 6" EQ - PLEASE HELP!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Howard Murray/">Howard Murray on January 28, 2000 20:21:26 UTC

: I am brand new to astronomy and am looking at getting a telescope (however, it will probably be a month or so because I am saving up for it). I am getting ready to purchase some Orion UltraView 10x50 WA Binoculars (because everything I've read has said to have a good pair of them and to buy them first) and I thought I knew which telescope I wanted. I have been reading, etc. about the Celestron C150-HD and it seems to be a good scope (I'm reading most stuff because I really don't know anyone who is into Astronomy), but After looking through Orion's website I found the SkyView Deluxe 6" which also looks good. They are both priced about the same so that isn't a real issue. The Orion seems to come with more stuff - 2 plossl eyepieces, moon filter and polar alignment scope. The Celeston comes with 1 plossl eyepiece. Both have a one year warranty. The differences in numbers I can see is the Orion has a parabolic primary (750mm focal length, f/5), and the Celestron has a focal length of 1000mm and a focal ratio of f/7. I don't know if it's spherical or parabolic (and does it really matter?). Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated. I want to really make a good choice so I enjoy star gazing when I buy one. Also, if anyone knows of another brand/model that is comparable (and under $600 or so) I would like to know about it too. I know this is long...please forgive me. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins