Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Celestron 8" SCT

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by David T/">David T on January 19, 2000 21:32:22 UTC

Mark,

I own a non computerised C8 and am very happy with it. Polar alignment for viewing is a snap, altough a little extra effort is required for long exposure photography.

It all depends on what you want to spend, and don't forget that you northern hemisphere people have only one advantage over us southern folk, Polaris makes a quick aligment a snap, I gather. But think of all the southern wonders you miss out on ... crux, the jewel box, eta carinae, SML, LMC and the list goes on!

Clear skies.

: I own a pre P.E.C. Ultma 8 and it is a excellent scope. Polar alignment is not hard to do, it depends on if you are just viewing or if you are going to do astrophotography on how accurate you need to be. It just becomes a part of setting up. I suggest that everyone know how to use the manual setting circles because you never know when your batteries will give it up and then your computer is useless. You can always add digital setting circles later. It also comes down to expence, the computerized model costs more. : Either way the 8" is a good scope and I hope you enjoy it. : Clear skies. : Starman :>) : : Hi, : : I'm looking to buy my first big telescope. From what : : I've read in this forum the Celestron 8" SCT is a good : : scope. : : My question is to get the standard/computerized : : or the deluxe model? : : The computerized one says it eliminates polar alignment. : : Is polar alignment hard to do and how do you do it? : : Is it worth spending the extra money for the computerized : : or the deluxe model? : : Thanks for any input that you can give me!

: : MARK

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins