Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Filter Recommendations

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on January 3, 2000 19:40:49 UTC

Oh yes...you need all kinds of filters if you want to see other things more clearly. If you get the basic color set from Orion ($40 or so) the enhancement of planetary view will increase. Blue for Jupiter, yellow for lunar and see the Cassini rings on Saturn. Red to see the polar ice caps of Mars and so on. The broadband filter is really a required filter anyway by my opinion. Cuts out certain light polluted areas and enhances certain Nebulae. Broadbands works very well in bringing out the Pleiades reflection nebulae. Narrowband ($70 give or take) helps with emmission and a few planetary Nebula, especially Orion (M42). You will have the lunar..that's good. Need that one. If you combine the lunar with a light blue color filter on the moon, it softens the glare so well, that you will see better detail of the surface and realize what you've been missing. Orion has a good selection of filters there. Lumicon has the other types like O-III and N-II. I don't bother with those. The ones I mentioned above are great for starters. Good Luck!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins