Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Polar Alignment

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bill Hullett/">Bill Hullett on December 24, 1999 00:30:28 UTC

: Getting the true polar alignment is a challenge in itself. Being dead-on Polaris is OK, but it depends on why you need true polar alignment. There is a trianglation method that requires only be 2 degrees radii from Polaris. I cannot remember what it is though. Is this for a dtatbase corrdinates system or only for tracking? There are programs that if you line up with polaris and insert your coordinates and time, the software can guide your scope there. Try SEDS and go to constellation and maps. Good Luck.

Thank you for the reply, I am going out again this tonight and try again. I have a Magellan II system and will try the Bigourdan techique again. I will do a computer run through to check my align merit by raising and lowering the north out rigger on the mount. again thanks, I'll keep trying!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins