Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Orion Stargazer 120mm (4.7") EQ Refractor

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by RayK/">RayK on December 12, 1999 23:13:31 UTC

Have you noticed any aberrations - spherical or chromatic?

I was very skeptical when looking at this instrument. I sent specific questions to Orion and was contacted by phone by one of their engineers. I kept him on the phone for about 20 minutes and was more than satisfied that the tecnical specs were far better than I had hoped. Better than 1/6 wavelength on the lense, multicoating on all surfaces, the mount looks and sounds very stable. The engineer said that it could take a couple of seconds to stabilize after a good tap, but under normal conditions the 1/2" shaft was very stable for the price. Right now one of the boxes is in Illinois according to UPS, the other one has not been scanned since Santa Cruz. Yikes. Thanks, and happy stargazing.

: I remember sending you a E-Mail about this just a little bit ago. But I forgot to mention that I spoke to a Orion salesman about the quality before I purchased mine and they are basically a one stock deal. They have alot of them and it is a sales deal they use to get them to do business with them. Except the product is not Language Removed. Once I got mine I ran it through the mill and I found very little problems. I like the polar alignment scope and the EQ-3 motor drive unit. I can resolve the donut hole in M57 Ring Nebula and see good pin point stars in M13 very good. It is excellent in the planet department. I see better deail on Mars thatn I do with my 8" Dobs. Jupiter and Saturn come out real well. I do highly suggest you get color and nebula filters. Have fun.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins