Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: First Scope....suggestions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on December 5, 1999 20:54:27 UTC

The GEM 8" f/4 is indeed a "short tube" Newt. The focus is fast, wouldn't be too bad for deep sky. Planetary viewing may suffer a little, but lunar viewing will be very good. Now you can buy a 8" SCT for less than $1000. Meade has their LXD 300 and their LXD 500. Both are 8" f/10. They come with the tripod that has polar alignment. I have used these scopes before. I have done astrophotography with them and was pretty satisfied with the results. However, you will need to purchase the motor drive separtely. They usually come with a 90 degree prism and 26mm Plossel or Super Plossel. Also Orion has a 4.7" Refractor for less than $1000. Meade has one in place of the LXD 300, 500 series. In the long run, once you have a scope. You'll understand better what you really want concerning accessories. Build up as you go. When I built my 8" Dobs I only had a 17mm eyepiece. Then I built up as I went. Now I just about got everything. I am not that familiar of the Apogee scopes. I realize you want a motor drive too. Meade has the DS series 5" reflector that could come with Auto Star drive for less than $550. If it's arperture your after, be prepared to shell out the bucks for what you want. Happy hunting, and Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins