Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
First Scope....suggestions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Harold Paul/">Harold Paul on December 5, 1999 16:44:54 UTC

Below is a message I sent to Apogee. It summarizes my interest and intended use of a telescope. I am interested and any suggestions others may have. I would like to spend less than $1000. Should I consider a stripped down SC verses a Newtonian? _________________________

I have been looking for a first telescope for 6 months. At first I was going to build my own Dobsonian as a learning experience for myself and my 14 yr. old boy but was discouraged because it would cost more than I could buy one for. I have considered Dobs, Go To scopes and ultimately would like to get a SC but not ready to spend the money on a first scope.

I saw your 8" f4 Newtonian on a GEM at American Science & Surplus in Milwaukee yesterday and was impressed by the workmanship and stability of the system. I am considering this scope but don't know much about your company.

From the web page (found through http://www.astronomy.net/) you appear to be a small optics wholesaler/retailer that is just starting to offer complete telescopes. Could you provide additional information as to company history? Where are the scopes made? Quality of the optics (diffraction limited)? Warranty? Availability of accessories in the future (motor drive, filters, etc.)? I will make my selection next weekend at Eagle Optics in Middleton WI. to take advantage of their experience and comparison shop.

The other concern I have is the speed of the scope, f4. I understand that the shorter the focal length the harder it is to manufacture quality optics (my top priority). Also, do fast scopes provide a wider field of view while sacrificing contrast? This may not be a big deal as I am primarily interested in deep sky objects, however I would like to take advantage of the GEM for planetary and lunar observing. The telescope comes with 10mm (80X) and 25mm(32X) eyepieces which seems like a good start. I would probably consider purchasing a 7mm(116X) and a 2X Barlow in the future.

Currently I enjoy viewing the sky with my 7X50 binocs. I considered the Dob mount because of the similar point and see capability. I am somewhat concerned about the set-up time and ease of use of the GEM mount as I typically go out in my backyard for 1/2hr to 1 hr viewing sessions. Future "Go To" capability would be nice and make it easier/faster to find objects but at present I am interested in learning to navigate the skies. My boy think he is interested in photography making the GEM (and a good clock drive) essential!

My conclusion....too many choices....no perfect scope for all needs!! Any information which you can provide to help with this decision will be appreciated?

Regards,

Harold Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins