Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: R.A. And Dec. For The Meade 4500

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on November 25, 1999 20:04:52 UTC

Right Acsension (RA) is in hours & minutes. Declination (Dec) is in degress. Though the Dec settings will be in degrees as a whole, anything smaller than a degree will be in minutes and seconds. Example: RA 4hr 30min Dec 37deg 30min. In the Dec example 37deg & 30min means 37 and a half. 30 minutes equals half of a degree. I pretty sure your setting circles on your scope only go to minutes at a minimum. I wouldn't worry about the seconds on a 4500. Polaris or North Star as it's called is close to the "north pole". It's coordinates are RA 0hr +90 0hr. If you were to use a T-Square and point one end at polaris and the other end up. The end up is 0 degrees or celestial equator. I hope this helps a little.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2020 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins