Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Jupiter At Opposition

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bill B. on October 26, 1999 02:46:08 UTC

: Hello, : I just wanted to share what I saw On the night of Oct.23, jupiters opposition and close to perhilion. I havent observed jupiter much but with a meade ds114 reflector (4.5) with a 9mm(ma)and barlow lens(2x) I was able to see the 2 large bands and some smaller ones around them. I only saw 3 moons, but it was around 11:45 pm Central time, so maybe thats all that was observable of the bright ones. My question that i have is, Was the great red spot on jupiter observable Oct 23, 1999 around 11:45-12:30? I dont know if it is there and my telescope is too small or not there. If it was there, i didnt notice it. I saw something that might have been it, but not sure. Where is it located, the way i would see it through a relfecting telescope? (I believe everything is upside down or soemthing). Thank you, T. J. P.S.> Saturn looked great also, being able to see the dark divider between the rings a little clearer and i saw a band on saturn right above the rings. I was only able to see 1 moon to the left of saturn, what is that one called. Thanks again.

The moon you saw was Titan. The band on Saturn was more than likely the shadow of the rings as bands on Saturn are very pale in comparison to Jupiter's and usually a larger scope is needed to detect them. Keep up the good work!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins