Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Confused About Astrophoto Equipment

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Larry Usrey on October 18, 1999 20:45:05 UTC

I use a 8" Celestron S.C for astrophotography and I have found that prime focus is what you will usually be using for long exposures of deep sky objects and you will only be using a tele-extender for planetary, moon, sunspots, comets ect.. One thing to remember is that to keep minor corrections from not showing up on the final print is to have your guiding system be at least 3X over the power that you are using to photograph the subject with, that way any corrections are too small to be noticed on the final. If you were to close the shutter to make a correction you would probably never be able to get aligned on the subject correctly again. Be prepared to burn up a lot of film in the begining, I always felt good if 3 or 4 photos turned out on each roll of film. Good luck and clear sky :>) : Hi everybody!

: My questions are about astrophotography, mainly in relation to the equipment. I'm planning on buying an 8" LX10 and obviously the off-axis guider is a must-have if you're planning to do any astrphpoto work. But doesn't that limit you to prime focus photography? I wanted to do eyepiece projection phtots as well, but from what I understand from the Meade catalog you can't hook the variable tele-extender or the variable projection camera adapter to the off-axis guider. And the T-Mount? I have a T-Ring for my Cannon. I thought the threads on T-Rings were standard and I could just screw it directly onto the off-axis guider.

: On another point: Don't minor guideing corrections show up on the film later? Don't you have to close the shutter to make corrections?

: Thanks! : Luis Esetevs : luis.esteves@mailroom.com

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins