Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Names Of Planets

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bill B./">Bill B. on October 18, 1999 02:35:56 UTC

: As you may have noticed, our planets are named after Greek Gods and Godesses. Except Earth. I have read that prior to Columbus reaching the new land and most folks thought the world was flat, earth was called in a latin form "Terra" or translation "Earth". Who gave the name is unknown. But the name stuck. Uranus which was discovered in the 18th Century, wasn't named until later. How the system of naming planets, is somewhat vague now, I believe they started the names and just kept naming in the same way. I do know this. I read in an astronomy handbook that Pluto which was discovered in 1933 was named that way because they wanted to follow the tradition of Mythical God & Godesses. It's moon Charon is companion to Pluto. Pluto if you remember your history lessons is also known as Hades. Lord of the underworld. Pluto being so far away and mysterious, is an apy name. There are historical web sites dedicated to early astronomy and constellation. I hope I helped a little.

Also Pluto's naming has added interest; the long time planet beyond Neptune hunter Perceval Lowell's initials are the first 2 letters of Pluto.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins