Back to Home

General Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Misc. Topics | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Earth Tilt

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on October 15, 1999 21:39:21 UTC

Couldn't you have asked a simpler question? :) The tilt of the earth is caused by a few things. One is gravitational pull from the sun. And two is the centrifical (bad spelling) force of the earth. Earth is not round. It is slightly egg shape. If you were to sit the earth on a table it wouls be taller than it is wide. During soltices (21-23 June and December) the earth tilts at it's maximum of 23.5 degrees'. In other words, the first day of winter and summer,maximum tilt of the earth, either south (summer) or North (Winter). Equinox's are the 1st days of Autumn and Spring this is when the earth is straight up, not tilting. The sun is on the equator. The tilting is caused by the rotation of the earth. Think of a spinning top that is a little heavy on top or bottom, it warbles a little. Earth does this too. The gravitational field of its' orbit around the sun keeps the earth from going upside down. Pretty amazing when you think of it. I wish I could answer better. There is one example of a wacky orbit and that is Neptune. It sits on it's side. Caused by a large meteor impact, so the theories go. Hope I helped.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins