Back to Home

Eyepieces Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Eyepieces | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Three Suggestions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Daniel Johnson on May 21, 2003 11:32:43 UTC

One very useful tool is the Lens Pen, sold for $10 to $15 by many mail order supply companies and also many professional photo shops. It has a sable brush on one end to gently brush off dust, and on the other end is a soft cleaning device embedded with a non-liquid cleaning solution. I've used it on my eyepieces (we're talking $250 to $400 eyepieces here)with good results. If the eyepiece in question is one with very small lenses (say, a 6mm Plossl) there's a "mini Lens Pen."
Another approach--one that makes me shudder but that has been recommended by Al Nagler, the world's best eyepiece designer--is to use clear rubbing alcohol and clean Q-tips, with just a small amount of liquid visible on the lens and very little actual pressure applied. One makes an outward spiral, with the hint of alcohol following the Q-tip by surface tension. Don't let any excess liquid pool at the edge of the lens, or it will find its way inside and fog your lens. It will take forever to evaporate.
One of my friends uses a spray bottle of alcohol, holding the eyepiece upside down, and just sprays. I worry about too much liquid for the reason just mentioned, but he says that holding the lens upside down avoids this.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins