Back to Home

Eyepieces Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Eyepieces | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Zoom

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Bob Sal on October 29, 2001 21:15:55 UTC

Hi Robert;
I never saw one of those Zoom eyepieces. Don't know anyobe who has one. I know a few people who have tried them. They all say they sucked. Don't know what the problem is. I will say this though, if they were real good, I think lots of people would have them. I don't think there is a cheap way to get more for money. You get what you pay for.
I have a 12"LX200. Not the new GPS. I have 4 main eyepieces that I use.

Meade 40MM super wide 67 degree field.
Teleview 22MM 67 degree field.
Meade 14MM ultra wide 84 degree field
Teleview 8MM Radiant 60m degree field.

Of course this is over $1100 worth of eyepieces and I didn't get them all at once. But since I got them I never use my older ones. Those include the Meade 26MM super plossl that came with the scope, 32MM Teleview plossl ($110 eyepiece), 40MM & 17MM Serius plossl from Orion. There's nothing wrong with any of these, the others just blow them away. They focus sharper, wider field which makes a big difference and better eye relief. I tell you, once you get the bigger better scope your have to go for some expenive eyepieces to appreciate what the scope can do. It's like buying a $4000 receiver and CD player then using $150 speakers. You have to go for the $1500 speakers or your not goona get the full effect. Same with the eyepieces. I show people the difference all the time. I put the $300 Meade 40MM super wide in, then swithch to the $60 40MM Serius plossl. The field is smaller the stars not sharp and not as much resolution. Big difference. It's like the difference in watching a 12" TV and 35" TV. I recommend getting one good eyepiece at time. You won't regret it.
That's it;
BOB SAL

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins