Back to Home

Eyepieces Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Eyepieces | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Excellent For Planets??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kip Crawford on July 3, 2001 02:47:51 UTC

The Sirius plossls do Ok as far as planets are concerned. Basically they are a good overall "workhorse" type EP. Personally, If I do serious planetary observing I'll use my Orthos or my Panoptics. However, just recently I had only my 26mm & 17mm Sirius plossls with my shorty barlow while viewing Mars. Didn't do to bad.

As for quality views through Sirius, the coatings are adequate for me as the abberations and certain coma are acceptable or about the same as most others. Another plus for these type EP's is that they have the removable eye-guard. This enables one to use Scopetronix's new Digi-T adapters for the smaller digital cameras. Also, they do not come with a cover cap. I made my own with plumbing pipe caps from hardware stores. Other than that I keep them in their boxes.

I hear the Celestron Ultima series plossls aren't bad, a little more pricey. I haven't had the chance to try them yet. Meade's 4000 series plossls can be nice also, but I am not a Meade eyepiece fan only because alot of the threads on these EP's won't fit my filters, but the views are good. Good Luck!!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins