Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Why Worry About A Purpose? Here's Why

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on October 17, 2002 19:53:40 UTC

Because we don't live alone, that's why. Because we have family, friends, relatives, coworkers, compatriots, fellow humans, pets, gardens. Because if there is no reason for all that to exist, no explanation, no purpose, then we might as well end our lives.

I'm not ready to end my life and that is not because I'm scared, for it takes a lot more courage to live than to die. I bear the pain of living because my heart tells me I will one day understand why so much suffering is necessary. It's something irrational which no crazy scientist will take away from me.

I'm glad you are having a ball, but I'm sure that is only because you haven't seen what I saw. I grew up in a place where three kids spend the day begging on the streets instead of playing Nintendo. A place where a shoe is more valuable than a human life. A place where corrupt politicians build mansions with the blood and tears of poor citizens.

So don't come to me with this "having fun" Language Removed. If you knew the side of life that I know, you would understand that if life doesn't have meaning then it's not worth living at all. What good is a world where 10% of the people are overweight while the remaining 90% are starving to death?

If I don't have a lot of fun, that may be because I'm constantly feeling the pain of the people I care about. But how would you know? You don't even know what pain is. So dance away while the music lasts.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2023 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins