Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Expected More Sense Than That.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on November 8, 2002 04:14:05 UTC

Harv,

In your own way, your vision is roughly as narrow as Alex's is; your perspective is just a little different that's all. I know it will be beyond you to comprehend it but you defeat yourself with your own poorly thought out comments. Sincerely, I have no desire to insult you; you insult yourself. If you knew what Alex knows or Alex knew what you know we might have a chance of communicating but both of you are just too narrow minded to pick up on what I am talking about.

Harv: For example, if I asked you to tell me what the concept 'lieto' means, you might have no idea what I was referring to if you spoke only English.

I stopped reading right here because you are giving an exact example of my point. I have no idea what 'lieto' means at all. Yet I can refer to it with no problem: if I ask "what does lieto mean?", I am clearly referring to the meaning of 'lieto' without understanding it at all (I need not even understand the properties of the concept being referred to by 'lieto'. One cannot even ask such a question about a symbol without referring to the meaning of the symbol!

If you believe understanding comes before the ability to refer than, as I said, you cannot refer to anything you do not understand; a rather ridiculous statement. It leaves Alan's thesis as the only possibility: i.e., you must have been born knowing everything.

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins