Back to Home

Astronomy Discussion Forums

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Big Bang Expansion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by blancra on July 4, 2009 13:16:51 UTC

I wonder if someone could explain expansion to me in layman terms as I'm just an old guy with a limited education. I keep hearing about the big bang theory and how its expansion is speeding up instead of slowing down. What I could never understand is just what is it expanding in. If I stand in my living room and fill up a balloon with air, it will expand because there is empty space and nothing to retard its growth. Is the universe like a womb and out side that womb is there a whole other globe of space that science knows nothing about? Also if time and space are the same fabrication is it possible that the past, present and future all exist simultaneously in what might be called an eternal moment. If that is possible wouldn’t it be reasonable to assume if time travel is possible that it already exists somewhere in that eternal moment?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins