Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
NexStar11GPS Hand Controller Issue

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by coderedd on June 22, 2009 15:19:01 UTC

Hey everyone,

I am a college student from south central Michigan, and I'm having a problem with the telescope I'm using for my summer research. I have been using a college-owned NexStar11GPS for over a year with no issues, but recently the hand controller has started freezing up. More specifically, whenever I try to activate the telescope motors for any reason (alignment, turn on tracking, move it, etc.), the HC immediately stops and displays whatever message was last on screen--no error messages are displayed--and I can only break the freeze by toggling the telescope power off and then back on.

What fixes I have tried so far:
-Unplugging/turning off power for 10-20s and then restoring power
-Checked all external connections/connectors for loose/broken wires, bent pins, etc.
-Reset HC to Factory Settings (would have tried reinstalling/updating firmware as well, but the current firmware version is nonupgradeable)
-Replaced AC adapter and verified that its power output matches the maximum requirements of the scope (12V, 2.5A).

I also plan to inspect the internal circuit boards in the scope and HC to ensure that all connectors are well-seated, but if anyone has any other ideas/suggestions, I would be very grateful.

-Coderedd

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins