Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Celestron Help Would Be Appreciated

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Matthew McGee on April 4, 2007 01:40:48 UTC

I just purchased a Celestron CPC GPS 11 inch and
am about ready to throw out the towel.
I haven't done an astronomy since college but
have always wanted to and since I didn't even remember how to do a polar alignment I thought
I would try a goto telescope. I have found to my dismay though that it just doesn't work.

The GPS links, it gets the correct time. I have made sure that the timezone,location and DST are correct.

I have tried StarAlign and Solar System Alignment and neither works. If I tell it to show me the moon it often is pointing in the opposite direction. If I align it with the moon dead center and tell it to show me the moon it moves off then back and only the edge of the moon will be in the eyepiece. If I then tell it to show me Saturn it at least gets Saturn in the finder but it is so far off I have to then realign it to Saturn. The tour feature often shows me nothing but dark sky and is completly useless.

So my questions for you guys are :
Is my telescope broke?
Do I have unreasonable expectations?
Does SkyAlign actually work?
Am I doing something obviously stupid or wrong?

I'm just about ready to give up and return the scope but it saddens me to give up on it completely. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins