Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes - It Is Possible

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Chip Levinson on June 22, 2004 07:30:53 UTC

Dan,
I just joined and saw your post. I am in the process of doing exactly what you want to do. I have a classic C-8 orange tube scope that I bought in 1976. I wanted to keep the optical tube assembly and upgrade the rest into the 21st century. Here is how I am doing this. I bought a Celestron CG-5 german equatorial computerized GOTO mount. I purchased mine from Oceanside Photo and Telescope - I great store that I HIGHLY recommend. The trick is that the dovetail mount Celestron cells will not fit the older C-8s. I am getting around this by buying a dovetail bar and scope rings from Orion Telescope. The 13" bar will fit the CG-5 mount and they sell rings that will fit the tube of the C-8. I am a week or so away from putting this all together and testing it out. Let me know if you want to hear how it went. Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins