Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Not A Big Deal

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian Robinson on May 22, 2002 16:58:29 UTC

I just bought a Nexstar 11 GPS. It's true that the GPS system directs the scope to magnetic north rather than true north during setup and this puts the scope off of the two alignment stars a bit. However, the "problem" added a grand total of about 7 seconds to my total setup time so it really isn't a big deal. The GPS system saves you a bit of time entering longitude and latitude data and gets that information and time of day information on the money (as it should). Naturally, the key to finding anything with the "go to" functions of the scope is getting the two alignment stars set up properly in the first instance. Even with the magnetic north-true north issue it only takes seconds to get the alignment stars all set. Once that was done, I found the scope to be INCREDIBLY accurate in its "go to" functions. I used the supplied 40mm eyepiece at first and found everything to be right in the middle of the field of view. Then I tested it with an 8.8mm Meade UWA eyepiece and it STILL slewed everything almost to dead center. I picked objects in various different parts of the night sky for about 2-3 hours and the "go to" function was dead on every time. I never had that kind of luck with Meade's Autostar controller.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins