Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Worth The Weight

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Brian Robinson on May 21, 2002 15:12:26 UTC

I just bought the 11" GPS and I love it. I had the same question as you did - - go with the 8" and get more portability or spend the extra money on the 11" and get a bigger, and heavier, scope. The heavy weight of the 11" doesn't bug me much at all, but I think that's an entirely subjective assessment that is going to vary wildly from user to user. Also, I'm about 6'5" and probably have a little less difficulty humping this scope around than someone with a small build.

Here's one tidbit that might be helpful to you. The JMI custom built case for the 11" is exactly the same size as the case for the 8" scope - - there's just a little less padding in it. So, in terms of what you're going to have to haul around to your backyard, deck, or favorite dark sky site, there isn't going to be much difference between the 8" and 11" scopes in terms of trunk space. The 11" is obviously heavier and probably a bit trickier to get set up on the tripod given the extra weight - - but if you're going to be lugging a large scope around anyway, it isn't that big a deal (at least to me).

Good luck - - they're both great instruments.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins