Back to Home

Celestron Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | Celestron Equipment Discussion | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Faced The Same Choice

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glenn Mitchell on May 8, 2002 04:16:13 UTC

I faced this same choice a few weeks ago.

I have a Celestron scope already. Been very happy with it. It's a C5+ with optical encoders and Sky Wizard II computer.

I bought the 10" LX200 GPS with UHTC coatings. A few things helped me decide.

(1) The motorized microfocuser. It's a helpful accessory, especially if you want to do astrophotography. You can more easily focus the scope and get sharper focus with it.

(2) The mirror lock. Again, if you do astrophotography, this is a helpful accessory. A 10" mirror is heavy, and it can shift as the scope moves.

(3) The tripod. From what I've read from others, the Celestron tripod is vibration prone.

(4) The SuperWedge. It's an option. But it makes azimuth and altitude adjustments soooo easy. And it includes a compass with magnetic declination for pointing to true north.

(5) The forks and gears. The forks on the 10" LX200 are oversized and very, very sturdy. The gears are 5.75" worm gears on both axes.

(6) The GPS and autoleveling. The LX200 levels to the ground, not the tripod. It points to true north, not magnetic north.

(7) Manual dials. I don't plan using the scope manually, but I am glad that manual dials are there. Especially if the battery power runs down unexpectedly.

(8) Guiding. If you use the scope in Alt-Az, you get PEC for both Dec and RA.

(9) GoTo Accuracy. If you use the High Accuracy mode, you get 1 arc-min. accuracy.

You will pay more for the Meade scope. The UHTC coatings add about $230. You'll have about $130 for shipping.

I figured the features above were worth $300-400 to me.

Mitch

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins